[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) august data summary

Mark rightly touts NAMN's accomplishment in bringing in new observers for the
Perseid peak and surrounding days. [And Wayne Hally deserves some real credit
for his organizing skills!] I just wanted to add that those reports DO GET USED
to further meteor science! Once they're received by IMO, extensive analysis is
done on them, and then they're archived for future work as well.

Any hour you spend out under the sky is not only beautiful and fun: with a
little bit of training (which folks from NAMN and on this list are happy to
provide), that hour can also be really worthwhile scientific data collection!

That's one of the unique things about meteor observing, after all: and all it
takes is a clipboard and a lawn chair!

So here's hoping we can harness some of our new "observing partners" to keep on
observing through the Fall, collecting data about some quieter (and not so
quiet!) showers than the Perseids. And here's hoping we all get to see the big
Geminids show in December, "together" through our computers. :)

Just my $0.02,
Lew