[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonid max?

Hello Lew,

> Planning ahead for November:

good idea, since the current weather is terrible here in Germany. :-(

> What is the "official" date of the Leonid max? The
> IMO Calendar has Nov 17 in one place (the shower description) and Nov 18 in
> another (the Working List table),

Both dates are right, in some sense. The correct date for 1996 is given
in the shower description to be Nov. 17, 1996, 17h UT.
The working table, however, gives the 'average' date of maximum. Normally
the Leonid maximum takes place on November 18, but if we have a leap year
(like 1996), everything happens almost a day earlier. The same procedure
applies for the Geminids, of course.
Cheers, Sirko

*           Sirko Molau             *                    __              *
*          Str.246 Nr.16            *             " 2B v 2B "            *
*          D-13086 Berlin           *                                    *
*   smo@informatik.tu-chemnitzdot de   *                       Shakespeare  *
*   http://www.tu-chemnitzdot de/~smo  *                                    *