[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) 1993 Orionids (was: Re: NAMN Target Shower: October 1996)

Wes asked:
>Is there any clear picture of what happened with the Orionids on October
>17, 1993?  I was attending a star party/astronomy convention on Mt. Hood
>when we noticed some unusual Orionid activity.  (Unusual in that we
>expected only a few meteors, but between 8h and 12h UT there were one or
>two every time we turned our heads skyward from the telescopes!)

Unfortunately I was not out observing due to cloudy conditions, so cannot
confirm or deny any activity. However, Juergen Rendtel and Hans Betlam reported:

"In 1993...experienced visual observers in the Netherlands and Germany
independently reported remarkably high ZHRs. During the period 1h - 3h UT on
October 18, the ZHR exceeded 30."

They also mention that by "the late evening of October 17 (23h-24h UT) the
ZHR was already at a level of 25." Cloudy conditions were evidently
widespread as the above authors go on to say that only one set of data from
North America was available, that of Bob Lunsford!

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net