[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Recording/receiving equipment

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

Wesley,  You Wrote:

> Just curious to know what the die-hard meteor observers use as far as
>
> 1. Tape recorders--I assume a standard 2AA model works well.

I actually use a large rugged 4C cassette recorder from Radio Shack. I
also purchased a remote microphone so all I have to do is flip the on-
off switch on the mike to record data. It saves a lot of wear and tear
on the buttons of the recorder. As with any recorder, check its function
at least once an hour to make sure it is working properly. It would be a
shame to lose a whole nights data rather than just one hour should you
hit the wrong button or the batteries poop out.

> 2. WWV receiver--These seem to be hard to find.  The 1/96 issue of Sky
 and
> Telescope touted one from Hamtronics, but the $99 price tag and the
> requirement for 6 AA batteries seem a bit steep.  I have seen and used
> weather/time radio made by MAXON, and it worked well, but I've never
seen  one
> in stores.  Does anyone have any ideas/pointers?

Once again, I have an old, beat up Patrolman 9 band radio from Radio
Shack. It was one of the best buys of my life. I cannot believe it still
works despite all the abuse it has received. Have you looked into one of
those time cubes? It may be an inexpensive way to receive time signals
out in the field.

Hope this helps.

Bob Lunsford

Association of Lunar and Planetary Observers

Meteors Section Coordinator