[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) A-T 1996 ZAYGE ...long article

Oops, I forgot to include:

At 15:43:07 BST Malcolm Currie said:

>The shower at "outburst" if it is periodic has a ZHR about 3, which is barely
>detectable by visual methods.  There may be a bias by some to detect the
>shower inflating the ZHR.

On the first point, I believe that a ZHR of 3 is too low by a few meteors.
When Gary Kronk and I independently saw the A-T meteors Sept. 11/12 1993,
I saw about 5 or 6 per/hr. There was no bias  then because I didn't expect
anything from that area, as I was watching for Southern Piscids.

And, I made a error in rates, should be:

The next year, observing on Sept. 10/11, and 11/12, for 5.00 TeFF, I saw
about 4 A-T meteors per/hr. However, I may have had some bias, but doubt
if it allowed inflation of the ZHR by more than 1 per/hr.

As for this year, I only saw 6 possible A-T meteors in 4.00 TeFF. Not enough
to verify any activity.

As to the possibility of bias by some to detect the shower inflating the ZHR,
I agree that this is a real problem when ZHR is l
ow, as it was this year.

GWG