[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) A-T 1996

>If the Triangulids do possibly exist, could not on the predicted days
>use photographic triangulation and CCD instruments to capture these
>meteors and get an accurate determination of the radiant?

Good question, Michael! Others will have more detailed answers for us, but
you're definitely right that two-station photography (or CCD or video) would
give a series of meteor orbits that could be compared to determine where/if a
meteoroid stream really existed around this date. Radar data could also be used.

But I guess the trick is actually capturing enough meteors from this suspected
stream on film/chips/video/dishes around the world to make a statistically
significant sample. The problem (correct me if I'm wrong y'all) is just that
there aren't enough such stations around the world to monitor events like this!

I know I'd love to do video meteor work for instance, but the $000s entry costs
are just too high for me now (or ever :>). And among the professionals who
already have setups to do radar, or multi-station photo or video, there's just
not enough funding for this type of meteors-pour-les-meteors work.

That's where *we visual observers* come in, thankfully... :)

Clear skies,
Lew

Follow-Ups: References: