[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Apparent Velocity near Radiants

One of the (blizzard of) recent messages suggested that meteors close to
their "radiant" (i.e., shorter meteors) will always appear slow to very
slow (2 or 1 on the NAMN scale, I guess).

I'm puzzled by this, as I've observed any number of short-path-length
meteors which were quite distinctly fast (4 on the NAMN scale), not to
mention medium-speed (NAMN 3).

I certainly understand that meteors close to a radiant will appear SLOWER
than other meteors from that same stream, due to foreshortening... But why
do folks think that short meteors will never appear fast? Or am I
misinterpreting?

Thanks, and clear(er) skies!
Lew

Karen Simmons & Lew Gramer lewkaren@tiacdot net http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren