[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Facing the Radiant, Part Deux

In his "Meteor Stream Activity: II Meteor Outbursts" paper, Peter
Jenniskens states that magnitude distributions are affected by three
things:
        atmospheric conditions (LM naturally)
        radiant altitude (a well-understood effect)
        DCV of the observer from the radiant

This last item intrigued me, in light of our recent debate about facing the
radiant! Peter sites a article from Meteor News #57 by Moore & Morrow
[1982] in reference to this. Has anyone else read this paper, and could you
summarize M&M's conclusions? Based on what folks on the list have already
said, I'd *guess* that the skew is toward *brighter* meteors the further
from the radiant you are, but perhaps the opposite is true! Care to
comment, Peter?

[PS: If folks are at all interested in current research on meteor
outbursts, particularly with the Leonids coming up, this paper makes great
reading! Also provides nice background on some of the discussions currently
going on in the IMO Journal "WGN". Pick up a reprint of all 3 Meteor Stream
papers if you can!]

Clear skies,
Lew

Karen Simmons & Lew Gramer lewkaren@tiacdot net http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren