[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Apparent Velocity near Radiants

<< I certainly understand that meteors close to a radiant will appear SLOWER
 than other meteors from that same stream, due to foreshortening... But why
 do folks think that short meteors will never appear fast? Or am I
 misinterpreting?

 Thanks, and clear(er) skies!
 Lew

-------
Well, for one Lew, I don't preach this...short meteors will and frequently do
appear fast....if they are a good distance away from a radiant of a shower
with fast meteors.  The foreshortening near a radiant gives the appearance of
a slow meteor. I believe you are misinterpreting. I see lots of short fast
meteors.  Meteors don't have to be short only near a radiant...they can be
short far away as well.  You can't have it the other way around...that is,
long meteors near a radiant and still be a member of that shower...unless it
is a fireball, then the rules change in step with how great the fireball is.
 Also if a long meteor appears close to a radiant over 30 degrees above the
horizon... and it's fast, I won't relate it to that radiant either.
George Z.