[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re:rather good Sep 17/18 meteors

After several nights of haze cutting two magnitudes off the LM, finally Sep
17/18 was clear.  Cold fronts often mess things up here, bringing down haze
from further north.  One made it to Tampa, but that's still a hundred miles
short of my area.

Sep 17/18 was nice, LM 7.3 throughout.  Three hours beginning 226 EDT (626
UT) were totals 15,11,16. A final 3/4 hour had only 8 more.  Minors were no
KAQ, 2 SOR, 3 SPI, and 5 DAU. I was pleased with the last one, best show yet
for me.  Very distinctive fast ones, all but one left trains.  Nothing seen
brighter than 0m.  The most interesting was a 5m going 25o but taking 4
seconds to do it; I like the slow, leisurely meteors.

One radiant on my plots: 063,+17,size 1.5o, 5 meteors, fast, 5o W of
Aldebaran. Compares nicely with a radiant from 6 nights ago that was 10o W
of Aldebaran.  On the latest I disqualified one slow meteor that grazed the
radiant circle.

Nights are about as hot as it gets: at 11 PM it's 83oF with humidity 85,
feels like 96o on heat index.  At observing site further inland slightly
cooler, dropping to perhaps 76o by end. Actually feels like a touch of
coolness.   Bugs not too bad; I can keep them off by fairly continuous
fanning with a sheet of cardboard.  Lid of a pizza box is ideal.  Been
rather dry Aug and Sep so bug numbers are lower than last year.  I also need
to fan to defog my glasses.  Long pants worn just for bug defense,otherwise
could observe comfortably  with nothing on.  Never have done a session in
the buff; an IR satellite pass might record something.

Norman