[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Apparent Velocity near Radiants

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

Lew,  You Wrote:

> One of the (blizzard of) recent messages suggested that meteors close
to their
> "radiant" (i.e., shorter meteors) will always appear slow to very slow
(2 or 1
> on the NAMN scale, I guess).
>
> I'm puzzled by this, as I've observed any number of short-path-length
meteors
> which were quite distinctly fast (4 on the NAMN scale), not to mention
> medium-speed (NAMN 3).
>
> I certainly understand that meteors close to a radiant will appear
SLOWER than
> other meteors from that same stream, due to foreshortening... But why
do folks
> think that short meteors will never appear fast? Or am I
misinterpreting?

The key word is SLOWER. If shower members have a speed of 5 far from the
radiant the speed closer in will usually be one notch lower but
certainly not any lower than a 4. There are definitely many fast, short
meteors.

Bob