[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Sep 18/19 low rates

> Sep 18/19 low rates
After a good night comes a dull one. While checking weather to decide on
going out, I saw an intense green -2m deep in E.  That was my best for the
night.

 Observed 259-606 EDT (659-1006 UT) with sky LM 7.0.  Total seen only 25,
barely half the previous night.  Two complete hours 326-526 totaled 7 and 8.
Minors were 1 DAU,  1 SPI, 1 KAQ, 2 SOR.  I stopped just as dawn began.  My
first KAQ of 1996 didn't appear until near 530, a yellow 2m strung out for 3
seconds; radiant was setting.

Two other interesting ones.  An orange 3m train 1 going 80o in 5 seconds,
about Lyrid speed; radiant just rising due E.  An intense orange 1m lasting
2 seconds with brilliant orange train which also lasted 2 seconds, covered
15o, quite slow.  This one came from low NE.  No radiants on my plot charts.

Intriguing story on TWA 800.  Could be an ordinary  Alpha Capricornid coming
up the south sky, or Aquarid, is what people saw that made them think it was
a missile.  I had not even thought of this possibility.  No one has
mentioned seeing two fireballs: the meteoric one AND the plane explosion.
The orange explosion tells me this was igniting heavy fuel, same color as
shuttle and some other launches, rather than a meteor.  Most brilliant
fireballs have a substantial  component of green.  I'll have to send the
gentleman a note.

Interesting responses on sporadic rates so far.  Going through the year, I
have my lows late March to early June, gradually increasing through August,
staying on a level  high Sept all the way to late March  when dropoff is
very rapid.  This covers the final third of nights, and likely the middle
third as well.

Norman
nmcleod@peganetdot com