[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) sporadic cycles

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

Wayne,  You Wrote:

> Just a thought to throw out that has been rolling around in my
> brain......always a dangerous thing. I think I've noticed the sporadic
cycle
> correlates very well with the  number of shower members expected at
any given
> time- i.e. the large number  of minor showers (as well as major)during
the late
> summer. This has caused  me to wonder if perhaps this sporadic cycle
is just a
> manifestaion of  shower members not being assigned to these minor
showers.
> Equally true  could be the converse...perhaps some of the minor
showers we
> chase are  nothing but the scattering of higher sporadic counts,
leading to a
> myriad  of "minor" showers. I'm not saying either one is the case, as
I'm
> certainly  no expert, but I thought I'd throw this out for comment. I
will now
> duck,  and don my asbestos underwear while we discuss. Have a go guys.

I believe that both senarios are equally valid. I agree with the
published dates of the sporadic maximum but I also agree with Norman
about the minimum occurring during May and June. Some nights during this
period can be dreadfully inactive. Rates are low during the quoted
months of February and March but perhaps the cold weather adds to the
misery. The Virginid complex is a bit more active than the Sagittarids
plus the radiants are better placed in the sky.

Bob Lunsford