[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fireball?

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

Adam,

Thanks for your report. It is possible someone else in your area may
have also seen this meteor. You might check the local newspapers for the
next few days. I live in southern California so I cannot be of much help
.

If you would like to see more meteors a good opportunity occurs next
month with the Orionid meteor shower. If you are able to watch late on
Friday night/Saturday morning or Saturday night or Sunday morning
October 18/19 and 19/20 you may be able to see meteors produced by the
most famous of all comets; Halley.

These fast meteors will appear to come from the area near the bright
orange star Betelgeuse in the constellation of Orion. This star rises in
the east near 11pm local daylight time. The later you stay up the more
activity you will see. You can expect to see around 5 meteors per hour
in addition to the random activity that is present every night.

If your skies are clear those nights make an effort to see this display
and let us know what you saw.

Bob Lunsford

Meteors Section Coordinator

Association of Lunar & Planetary Observers