[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) A-T 1996

Hello folks,
just back from another very exciting IMC I find my mailbox nearly bursting...
Just a short comment concerning an earlier message by Malcolm.

> The velocity measuring errors are less, so you can determine the
> radiant far more accurately with fewer meteors.  The analysis should
> not add much bias.  If you don't have automated techniques, you can
> always get a tape analyzed elsewhere to corroborate any conclusions.
> The world of amateur video astronomy is growing steadily, as I'm sure
> Sirko will testify, so perhaps in a decade video systems will be
> common.  Two-station video would be wonderful (well the results would,
> but the logistics and data reduction are less pleasant).  Geoff Grayer
> and I have similar video cameras, and we've toyed with doing this (but
> not got our act together).  Off the top of my head, I believe that the
> Dutch have been attempting this too.

That's right, the observation and investigation of minor meteor showers
will be one of the key projects for video meteor observation. We are
still at the very beginning of discovering all the power video system
give us, but some the main aims are becoming clearer in the last time.
In fact, in Germany we intended to obtain double station video
observation from the ARI/TRI activity in question. However, Juergen
Rendtel and I experienced unfortunately no clear night in those days. On
the other hand there is at least on single station video recording from
Andre Knoefel.

> Sirko is claiming about $850, which is about what we paid for ours.
> It would be cheaper now that the intensifiers are about half the
> original price.

Malcolm: Please send me any offer you have for cheap image intensifiers.
At the IMC it turned out again, that many groups are interested in video
systems and would like to setup own cameras. However, purchasing good
image intensifiers is still the major problem.
Sirko

*           Sirko Molau             *                    __              *
*          Str.246 Nr.16            *             " 2B v 2B "            *
*          D-13086 Berlin           *                                    *
*   smo@informatik.tu-chemnitzdot de   *                       Shakespeare  *
*   http://www.tu-chemnitzdot de/~smo  *                                    *