[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: ALPO Lunar Eclipse Activities

Ken Poshedly sent an excellent post into the ASTRO list on doing scientific
observations during the upcoming lunar eclipse. I and others would like to do
some meteor observing during totality, if the moon is dark enough. (Mainly just
to say we observed during a full moon, although any hour's data is useful.) In
the course of this observing, of course, we'll be taking regular visual limiting
magnitude measurements (always done for visual meteor observing).

My question: Would a series of such LM measurements be useful in quantifying the
darkness at totality? Seems like measurements taken both near the zenith and
near the moon might allow greater accuracy and less subjectivity than the Danjon
luminosity scale. All thoughts appreciated!

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer