[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) AMS Radiometeor Project Adds a Station

Hi folks,

This is a general announcement to the list to let you know that as of
Friday, September 20, 1996, Jim Riggs' West Point Radiometeor Station is now
fully operational and collecting data on a continuous basis for the American
Meteor Society (AMS) Radiometeor Project.  Jim has worked hard for over two
years to reach this point, overcoming numerous problems and setbacks.

For the last few months jim has been in the middle of a gruelling system
grooming and testing phase, in which he persevered through a long string of
test, modify, test, adjust, test, readjust... steps.  He and I are now happy
with his system's  performance, and he has begun data collection in earnest.
Jim is to be congratulated on his hard work and diligence in sticking with
this project from his original letters to Dr. Meisel and myself to the point
of now officially joining the AMS Radiometeor Network.

His system is operating on the Channel 2 television video carrier frequency,
using a 5-element Yagi pointed ENE.  Very weak tropospheric scatter signals
can be heard from about 4 transmitters, with underdense echos being detected
from these and possibly one more station.  His numbers are impressive, with
up to 3000 events being recorded per day during this high point in the
annual flux level.  His receiver is quieter, more sensitive, and will
perform better than my own system.

The AMS Radiometeor Project now has two fully operational stations, one in
Florida and one in California.  The Meteor Group Hawaii station remains
under development.

For those unfamiliar with the AMS or our officers, I am the Coordinator for
the Radiometeor Project, and Norman McCleod (Ft. Myers, FL) is the
Coordinator for the Visual Program.

Take care, everyone,

Jim Richardson
Graceville, FL