Original Text
From: QLAC65A@prodigydot com, on 9/24/96 7:59 PM:
To: <meteorobs@latradedot com>, <meteorobs@latradedot com>

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

It seems a lot of observers would like to contribute video observations
of meteors. You can count me in this group but like some others I cannot
simply go out and spend $1000+ on an image intensifier and a super 8mm
video camera. I also have some reservations about spending a great deal
of time in front of a television waiting for streaks to appear. I
understand there is software to reduce data from video recordings but is
it widely available and compatible with home PC's?

What is the possibility of getting a small grant from the AMS or some
other scientifically inclined organization to supply 3 or 4 stations
with video equipment? The data obtained would be invaluable. When George
and I learned that the AMS had inherited some money from the Clinton
Ford estate we asked for a small grant to equip George's observatory
with a video camera and intensifier devoted strictly to meteors. We felt
with the opportunity to tape on nearly 300 nights annually that the AMS
would jump at this. Unfortunately Mr. Meisel turned us down stating that
funds were allocated toward radio work at this time. Perhaps if we all
make a more organized request from a large group we may succeed.

Bob Lunsford