[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminid Get Together!

Wow, sounds like this could actually happen! So far, I take it, we have five
interested folks? Mark Davis, Wayne Halle, Kevin Kilkenny, Ron Rennie, and me.

How about some of the other folks on the list who are ALREADY in Florida? Norm,
would you be interested in a Keys trip in Winter '97, for old times sake? Any of
our other East Coast or Midwest subscribers interested, too? All others around
the world welcome too, if you wouldn't mind travelling to Florida in December!

Just to let you all know, the Long Key State Park campsites are small patches of
sand mostly under trees, right on a natural beach and looong sandbar (great for
snorkeling for us snowbirds willing to swim in Winter). There's a little open
stretch of beach down at the end of the camp road, well away from the campsites.
It's only about 50' S of US 1, but there are no street lights, and trees block
any headlights. (There's almost no traffic after midnight anyway). Daily rates
are about $25 a day inclusive, but they have cheaper longer-term rates, I think.

And yes, the whole southern horizon is pure ocean: mist up to about 5-10 degrees
(depending on the season and weather), and above that only sky... Again, I saw
meteors in Grus and Indus for the first time in my life last Perseid max! And as
for transparency and seeing, well, we already covered that in another thread. :>

Let me know if y'all are serious, and I'll be happy to organize GemWatch'97!

Lew