[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) NAMN Meteor Train Study

As you all know, one of the parameters we record for meteors are any
persistent trains or wakes left by a meteor. Historically, most observers
throughout the world have also recorded trains, but no "central" location
was set up to receive the reports for train studies to be carried out.
However, there is such a place.

IMO member Mark Vints has been collecting train reports over the last couple
of years in hopes of collecting a large enough database to allow more
insights to be made about the phenomenon of train production. Even today
though, not all observers send reports to Mark. Therefore, I would like to
propose that the NAMN adopt this study and begin to contribute as an
organization.

For the NAMN members on this list, I ask that you email me in private if you
would be interested in participating. There is no "extra" requirements in
the field while carrying out observations, but it would require an
additional form be filled out in addition to the NAMN report. The reports
would be sent into NAMN as we do the visual reports, and I would forward
them to Mark via snailmail since he is not connected to the Internet.

If there is enough interest, we will go ahead with the program and I will
announce it to the entire membership in the next newsletter. I would also be
looking for a volunteer to convert the report form into an ASCII text file
that we can use as email. Any takers...

Mark Davis
NAMN Coordinator
MeteorObs@charlestondot net