[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Geminid Get Together

<< .
 Sorry guys, we already have a Geminid watch slated for the weekend of
 December 14-15 in the Mojave Desert near Barstow. Everyone's invited and
 there is plenty of room. It's only a couple of hours drive from Las
 Vegas. For those who want to rough it out and watch from a site that
 looks like the surface of Mars feel free to come on down! The horizons
 are good all the way around with minimal light pollution from the desert
 communities. For daytime activities the rock-hounding is fabulous and
 the total lack of noise is refreshing. I can promise temperatures in the
 70's during the day and 40's during observing time and hopefully
 beautiful clear skies.

 George Z., you gonna make it this year?

 Bob Lunsford

--------
No Bob,

Too much going on then...plus I want to be able to avoid the fatigue by
sleeping at home between nights. The weather pattern for that area frequently
has the tail end of those weekly storms that often misses us further
south....Little rain, but enough cloud activity to mess things up. Maybe it's
best I stay in a different location in case one of us has different weather?
 For the Geminids I plan on observing approximately on Dec 12/13, 13/14,
14/15, 15/16 and maybe 16/17...dot depending on the weather and family
obligations etc. I can't observe any days earlier due to work etc.  I already
scheduled the 13th to take off as a vacation day.   I see no point in leaving
a perfectly good observing location. I have electricity to run my rotating
shutter, electric blankets etc.  I also get plenty roughing it out
days..dot it's not like I need anymore to feel like I'm getting back to nature.
As you know, this last weekend we did our 35 mile canoe  paddle down the calm
parts of the Colorado...two nights and three days...had my fill of doing
natural things in the bushes...kinda like a campaign fire camp as well.  I
get mighty tired just sleeping on the ground or cots.  The mojave  could be
windy out there..dot it frequently is at that time of year...but if it's not, it
should be real pleasant.
George Z.