Original Text
From: Sirko Molau <sirko.molau@informatik.tu-chemnitzdot de>, on 9/26/96 3:55
PM:
To: <meteorobs@latradedot com>

> Thanks for the clarification Sirko! As a follow-up question, if we had a
> system operational, what kind of desk time are we talking about for
> reviewing the video. Hours and hours, or can existing software or some
under
> development help reduce this time?

You need to
1.) find the meteors on the tape and
2.) measure them with your computer.

If you do 1.) manually, it takes you a little longer than the real
observing time (replay, time to write down the times of meteors, etc.)
if you watch the tape once. Bob Hawkes found out, that you find
during the first inspection ~80% of all meteors recorded, in a second run
another 18%. I normally inspect the tape only one time - that's enough
work.
By the way, it is impossible to save time by using a faster tape speed.

In the future we will do 1.) with the help of the computer. Than the
machine has to work as long as the tape lasts (maybe the computer has to
run two times, inspecting the upper and the lower part of the image,
respectively), and you only have to check the meteors found by the
computer (probably together with 2.)

2.) is done with AstroRecord or similar programs. Marc de Lignie said,
that he needs on average 10 meteors to measure one meteor. Currently, I
need
a little more than 5 minutes with my own program.
Simple calculation: On August 10/11, 1996, I recorded some 170 video
meteors. 150 might actually be good enough to be measured:
150x5 minutes = 750 minutes or 12.5 hours at best, *not* included the time
for 1.)

Sirko