[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Eclipse and meteors!

Norman McLeod wrote:
>Sky LM alone during totality won't be usable to determine how bright the
>eclipsed moon is.  That also depends on your local weather and city lights.

Actually, I think the trick might just be to do many star counts, near and far
away from the moon, both during, before and after the various stages. Then, the
CHANGES in LM throughout the night can be compared from eclipse to eclipse.
Keeping the observer (at least) the same, and ideally the location, can make
this even more useful, of course... Anyway, I took the data, and we'll see what
use the folks at ALPO can manage to make of it.

One interesting effect I noticed: from both South Florida, the Midwest, and New
England, the sky *appeared* to miraculously clear up just before totality began,
and then to recloud just after it ended... In the case of Florida and New
England, the clouds were all high (Ci and Cs). I'm wondering if what actually
occurred is simply that the Cs and high Ci suddenly had much less light to
scatter, and so the LM plummetted. Any thoughts on this?

Clear skies,
Lew