[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Visual telescopic orbit determination?

Re: (meteorobs) Sporadic Flux Variations (long)

Thanks for the encouraging response, John!

>This straight line is essentially tangent to the orbit of the object, and from
>that you can deduce whether or not it could be associated with a specific
>radiant... nor can we completely reconstruct the orbital elements

This was something I (in my inimitable ignorance) was confused about: I assumed
that simply finding a tangent to the orbit was not worth doing. If it is, then
you're right, John: two observers don't even need to do speed estimates (except
the "subjective" kind to reject inappropriate shower members, of course). But
assume two telescopic observers actually wanted to be able to contribute to
*orbit determination*: what accuracy would be needed in apparent velocity
estimates, and can anyone think of a visual (telescopic) technique one or both
observers might use to obtain this estimate? Just a curious question,

Lew