[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Variable magnitude meteor-how to report

Wayne asked:
>OK Mark,George,Jurgen,Bob...
>Just to make sure Kevin and I are doing this right....
>Last night we observed a very nice meteor which was dim yellow for most of
>it's path, but had two very bright blue white flashes near the end.
>Am I correct that the magnitude reported should be that of the peak
>brightness?
>It was really quite spectacular BTW.

Yes, report the magnitude at peak brightness. On my reports, I also add a
comment such as "flared mid-path" or something similar which lets me know it
was a meteor similar to the one you described.

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net