[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Possible fireball in California

Ron asked:
>Can anybody out there tell me what significance the colors have.  Does it
>mean that they are a particular composition, and if so, does it tell us
>anything about their source?
>
>Any information on these matters would be appreciated.

I can't provide any observational data on colors as mine is suspect due to a
vision problem, but there seems to be two schools of thought on meteor
colors. I have read in several sources that color *may* indicate
composition. But on the other side of the coin, McBeth (1991) indicates from
his study of both sporadics and shower members, color indicates individual
observer differences related to vision.

McBeth also found yellow to be the predominate color, something I would have
to agree with based on the NAMN reports I receive.

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net