[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Oct 7 Observations

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

I managed to watch for 3 hours this morning. The fog layer along the
coast was thick and the skyglow in the west was limited to a thin line
along the western horizon. The sky was outstanding with the winter Milky
Way very prominent. The sky was so dark I managed to count 36 stars in
area 8 (Taurus). Lew, you should be proud of me since that is off the
scale somewhere around 7.6. Another initial star count in Perseus
yielded a LM of 7.1. Comet Tabur was just over the hill in the northeast
but easily visible to the naked eye. Meteor rates were steady until the
crescent moon cleared the tree east of George's observatory. Counts
dropped like a rock after the moon was visible. One meteor each was seen
from the STA's and the NTA's which are currently located in Pisces. Two
distinct swift meteors were plotted from a radiant precisely where the
Sigma Orionids  (non-IMO shower) should be on the 7th.  No Orionids were
seen.

09:00-10:00 UT   0.91   6.98   1 NTA    1 SOR   10 SPO

10:00-11:00 UT   0.91   6.52   1 SOR   1 STA   10 SPO

11:00-12:00 UT   0.97   6.22   4 SPO

F was 1.00 all 3 hours. TeFF was reduced due to plotting. I was facing
due south at an altitude of 70 degrees for all 3 hours.

Beginning Temperature/Relative Humidity:   62 F (16 C)   40%

Ending Temperature/Relative Humidity:   58 F (14 C)   40%

Bob Lunsford