[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Lew and his lava buns ...

Lew -

With regard to your lava buns :)....

What about the rest of your body?  I don't know about you guys, but I lie down
when observing, not sit just on my buns.  No, I have not tried them, although I
have heard they are good for duck hunters.

For Canadian winters, I try to use as much insulation both above and below me as
possible.  Below me - a thick piece of foam or one of those self-inflating camp
mats, and a heavy sleeping bag.  I try to minimize the air below me - sometimes
lying in a snowbank is warmer than lying on a lawnchair.  Above me - the top of
the sleeping bag, and if not a really heavy bag, several heavy wool blankets.

As for winter attire, very layered.  Top of body - long john top, turtleneck
jersey, polarfleece top with high neck, woolly scarf, down parka, and wool
balaclava.  Forget toques and hats - my balaclava is one of the best things I
ever got for observing.  Bottoms - long johns, heavy woolly track pants,
insulated snow pants, heavy wool hunting socks, and Sorel boots (removed when in
sleeping bag).  Heavy wool mittens are preferable to any gloves.   I haven't
tried electric socks, but they are supposed to be OK.  I may try thermal booties
this winter on top of socks.

I've found that the hand warmers where you light the stick of fuel and put it in
a metal packet (found with camping or hunting supplies) are great.  They last
quite a number of hours, and are great for warming your hands while plotting.

I haven't tried electric blankets, as I usually haven't had a power outlet
nearby when observing.  I heard once about heated suits worn by bikers, but have
not investigated that option.  I assume they would be battery powered, or else
plug in to the bike.

One idea I always thought would be neat would be a portable coffin - canvas or
something, to cocoon your lawnchair to some degree, perhaps partly constructed
with those silver emergency blankets to reflect heat back in towards you.
Actually, those silver blankets might work well on their own, wrapped around a
sleeping bag.  I haven't tried them.

The coldest I've meteor observed in for any long stretch has been about -10
degrees F (over 8 hours) in a wooden coffin, although I've been out with my
scope at  -20 degrees F (about 5 hours) and the above attire works well.

So, Lew, there's my two bits on your buns :)  I am always interested in any
heated discussions :)

- Cathy
  Ottawa, Canada
   (The Great White North :)