[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Orionids

Hi all

While at Piru Creek I was concentrating on finding as many Messier objects
as I could through binoculars, but I did see a number of meteors, most of
which appeared to be Orionids.  The first and brightest one was at about 9pm
when the Pleiades were just a few degrees above the mountains to the east.
It skimmed for quite a distance just above the mountain skyline and passed
beneath the Pleiades.   Later in the night I could see that it had come from
the general direction of Orion, but this one was quite different from the
other Orionids that I saw in that it was very bright, moderate speed and
left a long persistant tail.

Then there was a period of four hours with nothing until around 2am when I
was searching around the big Dipper and saw seven pass through that area
that I could trace back to around Orion's head.  They were all very fast,
some with short tails, others with none.

Best wishes
Ron Rennie