[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Oct 15 Observations ZAYGE

<< <<  This morning I did see a -3 EGE...unfortunately it wasn't near my
  camera's field.  >>

 How do you handle the timings of your camera work? Do you take a time-out
  from observations to pay attention to your camera?  Besides being new I
have
 the hardest time trying to observe, plot AND photograph at the same time.

 Kevin

---------
I have my camera operating below the observatory.  About every 20 to 30
minutes I climb down, advance the film, make polar alignment, announce my
start /stop times in a tape recorder that is next to the camera set up, and
start another exposure. This usually takes me about 1, 2 or sometimes 3
minutes.  I show this time on my report as "Dead Time due to camera
operations". On average, I go thru this evolution about twice every hour. It
is a hassle, but I also find it  helpful in that it allows me a periodic
moment to get any cob webs out. You can easily start to get comfortable and
these 30 minute interruptions are helpful. If I see a bright meteor cross my
camera's field, I stop it immediately if the exposure is over 15 minutes. If
it's under 15 minutes, I will let it go until about 15 minutes ticks off. If
a bright meteor does cross the general area of my camera, I note the time to
the seconds and put a little star next to the meteor number so that I can
identify it later. If I'm plotting, I usually check any photo meteors to
match up with a plot somewhat for confirmation....if I'm plotting that is.
I'm pretty much use to the whole procedure and don't think much about it now.
George Z.