Original Text
From: Mark Davis <MeteorObs@charlestondot net>, on 10/16/96 10:51 AM:
To: <meteorobs@latradedot com>

I have been following this cold-weather thread but have had nothing to
contribute until just now, so take a look at the following story....

About a week ago Josephine came through the South Carolina coastal area. As
a Park Ranger, I work outside in all types of weather, and that day
Josephine put 5 inches of rain on me. By the afternoon I was beginning to
sneeze, and knew a cold was coming. The next day, Josephine had made her
way
up the coast and left me with perfectly clear skies. So for the next three
nights I observed meteors even though I wasn't feeling well due to my
"cold."

But the cold never improved, and in fact, it just worsened. So today I went
to the doctor and I just found out my cold is now viral pneumonia. Not only
am I out of work for the next week, but he has forbidden me to even
consider
going outside to observe. So I have now lost my opportunity to observe the
1996 Orionids. So my advice to all of you in these colder months is the
same
advice we get when we go out on patrol...."BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!"

I will follow the Orionids from all of your reports to the list.... 8-<

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net