[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Brrrrrrr

>Do I detect possible fair weather observers in the crowd.  :)

Nope, Kevin. I've done meteor observing in 20-30o weather once or twice before
in the Florida Everglades, many years before you'd first heard about meteors I
imagine. And that was PLEASANT compared with deep summer observing in that big,
steamy mosquito breeding ground. (But everyone's heard my skeeter stories. ;>)

The message I was hoping to convey in my post was just "Be prepared for the
cold!" Otherwise, it IS very possible that people will get frustrated and become
"fair weather observers", or stop observing altogether! That'd be a shame.

I know whenever I invite friends or family out to watch meteors or peer through
the eyepiece with me, it is really hard to convey to them what preparation they
REALLY DO need to take to enjoy the experience. After all, sitting in the dark
for 20 minutes while your eyes adapt is something that almost no one other than
an astronomer would ever think to do. Same thing with lying flat and still under
the sky in 25oF for an hour! Only a nut or an astronomer would do that... :)

Clear skies,
Lew