[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Orionids, a baby, and a picture

Laying here with my keyboard in my lap and still in a story-telling mood,
let me relate this one for those of you who don't know about it already....

During the 1995 Orionids I had observed on the 17/18 but then got clouded
out. The forecast for the 20/21 was clear skies, and true enough, I woke up
for work on the 20th to clear skies. My wife also woke up, but instead of
commenting on the clear skies, she commented on her pregnancy, labor pains,
and that it "was time to go!" So off we went to the hospital......and after
being in the delivery room for about 14 hours, my new daughter was born at
2247 hours.....on the night of the Orionids....

During previous discussions, we had already settled on the first name of
Hailey, but had not agreed on a middle name. When they came to the room to
fill out the paperwork for name, SSN, etc., they asked about the middle
name, and I made the offhand joke that it should be Orion since she was born
during their peak activity and that she kept me from observing it. My
offhand joke was immediately accepted by all family members present. So my
daughter's official, 100% true and recorded name is: Hailey Orion Davis.
When she is older, I am not sure she will appreciate my humor!! But does
anyone see a second relationship in her name to the Orionids other than
Orion?? ;)  [A clue for Wayne...your last name has a similar relationship...]

Anyway, since the Orionids are her namesake and UT birthday, and since I am
a sentimental meteor observer, I have a favor to ask. If any of you
photographers out there should happen to catch an Orionid on film while
observing on the 20/21, would you please let me know so I might make
arrangements to get a copy for her?? Okay, okay...dot it's actually for

Many thanks!!

Mark Davis (a proud Daddy)
MeteorObs@charlestondot net