[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Gorgeous NTA!

Last night my club held a public star party at my usual Pink Sky Site. I had an
early morning at work this morning, so no observing to report, but I DID manage
to catch a lovely, loooong -1 magnitude North Taurid while breaking down my 20".

Beginning in eastern Cyg as a mag 1 white meteor, it crossed into Lyr, covering
roughly 40o during at least SEVEN seconds, and then ended in a short -1 burst
with a beautiful stand-out cyan/blue color (very rare for me). A pale blue wake
was just barely glimpsed as I turned away to check my watch: 0225 UT.

Kind of strange to be able to exclaim "Whoa! LOOOOOK at that!" and have people
around you actually look up in time to SEE something! :)

This would hardly be worthy of reporting to the IMO, of course, but every once
in a while, often when you're not expecting it, an event like this occurs and
reminds you why you watch meteors. Clear skies all!

Lew