[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Oct 15 Observations ZAYGE

Actually, George, I got a great deal on a 1960s vintage Miranda Sensorex
that I use for my astrophotography (don't much enjoy the daytime kind, but
I have friends who are real shutter bugs). Anyway, it's all manual, and I
use a 15' cable release with it. I was just curious about whether you were
doing shorter exposures (like 15 mins), and if so, how you were tripping
them from the top of your observatory! (Like, maybe with a 50' cable
release?! :>)

Anyway, you answered my question: you do 20-30 minute guided exposures
instead. But NOW I'm curious about something else: why is it that guided
exposures allow for longer exposures? I'd figure that fogging and other
stray light problems would actually be WORSE with guided than unguided
exposures: is that not so?

Or is it just that you can do longer exposures because the field doesn't
change so much? (An important point I've neglected in my photography so
far!) Is it just because camera FOV is easier to determine with a guided
exposure, or is the analysis of unguided images actually too hard with
longer exposures?

Thanks in advance,
Lew

PS: BTW, George, keep healthy! Those marathon 6 hour sessions y'all are
always doing must really wear on you after a while, especially in the cold!

Karen Simmons & Lew Gramer lewkaren@tiacdot net http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren