[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Comet Tabur Meteors?

t 04:07 PM 10/17/96 -0400, you wrote:

>   I forgot to mention that on the morning of October 7th around 9:45 UT
>while observing Comet Tabur with a pair of 12x63 binoculars, I saw two
>telecopic meteors of about 7th or 8th magnitude in just a few minutes in
>the same field as the comet. They seemed to intersect just a few degrees
>away toward the direction that the comet was predicted to be in a day or
>two.  Anyway, as only two meteors is too few to say anything about associat-
>ion with a telecopic shower in the plane of the orbit of Tabur/Liller,
>it is interesting to speculate if there was anyway. I regret that I didn't
>watch longer, but it was early in the morning, and I wasn't alert enough to
>think of it. Did anyone here of anyone seeing any meteors from that area
>during that time?
>
>GWG

Yes,  while training my 15 x 80 binoculars on Comet Tabur on the night of
12/13 th October I did see a feint meteor pass through the view apparently
travelling roughly parallel to the horizon from the east towards the north.
I say, apparently, because that was the way it appeared in the narrow FOV of
my binoculars. It was very feint, certainly dimmer than mag 6 and appearing
only slow to moderate speed.  At the time  Orion was over my right shoulder
and I assumed it could have have been an Orionid that was travelling across
my line of sight at about 15 to 20 degrees, which would explain the speed.
I had already seen five or six naked eye meteors travelling from Orion
towards the Big Dipper.

Hope that is useful to somebody.

Ron Rennie
Lomita, CA.