[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observations Oct 19 ZAYGE

Well, I observed last night Oct 18/19.  I have some good news and some bad
news. The good news is that there wasn't a Santa Ana condition in progress
and it wasn't windy at all last night.  Instead there was a thick fog layer
that extended to the Descanso Detention facility, but not to my observatory.
 It stayed clear until....now for the bad news...The fog rolled in like gang
busters around 4:40am local and forced me to stop then. I only observed for 4
hours starting at midnight...now the real bad news...for Bob... The fog has
the look when a low pressure trough settles in over San diego...I haven't
watched any weather reports lately...just assumed that we were going to keep
having this beautiful weather we been getting for the last several months.
 Looks like we officially started the local Good observing skies uncertainty
for the winter. Bob if you come up tomorrow night or tonight..dot be sure to
dress a little more warmly..dot it felt nippy too.  and be prepared to go to our
alternate 5000 ft site. Good luck!  Now from the 4 hours I did observe, it
was apparent that the Orionids were a little more active than the previous
nights...but basically normal looking. I plotted all meteors except for the
Orionids. I recorded 70 meteors under clear 6.0 skies.  33 Orionids, 3 EGE, 6
NTA , 6 STA and 20 sporadics. The brightest was a -2 Orionid. The first hour
I only recorded 11 meteors total...after that it hanged around 20 meteors per
hour.
George Zay