[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Oct. 18 Observations

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

Lew,  You Wrote:

> Bob's report (an excellent one - thanks, Bob!) brought up a question
on the
> recent thread about plotting: namely, if you INTENTIONALLY keep
yourself from
> knowing the radiant positions for the active showers during an evening
so you
> can plot, then what happens if the activity suddenly makes you want to
switch
> to  counting method in mid-session??
>
> Imagine: You're out under the sky, no longer plotting, and the active
> radiant(s) are at  best just broad areas of the sky to you. What do
the olde
> saltes do in this  case? Carry a chart with the radiants plotted on it
, but
> carefully tucked away  in a black box, until you decide you need it?

I agree that if you know the exact radiant area some bias may be
unavoidable when plotting. If you observe a shower long enough you
memorize the radiant position. I try to be as objective as possible when
plotting and analyzing meteor plots.

For "newbies" it may be an excellent idea to carry the IMO Handbook out
in the field with you just in case you do decide to switch to strictly
counting.

A Semi-olde Salte