[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Radiant Outside the FOV

My observation of October 9/10 where I ended Taurid observations during the
last hour opened up a discussion between myself and Bob Lunsford on our two
tactics for these instances. In a nutshell, when the radiant is outside my
FOV, I end my observations while Bob continues his. Since there has been
some interest on this topic from others on the list, Bob and I wanted to
forward the following to the list.

We hope someone finds it of help!

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net
------------------------

MD> If The Taurid radiants are outside your field, it is possible that you
MD> will miss the begin point of a suspected Taurid. Therefore, you have no
MD> reliable estimate on its path length. If the velocity and direction favor a
MD> Taurid, what's to say the path length wasn't of such a length that if
you MD> had seen it, you would not have classified it as a Taurid during
your later
MD> analysis. Since you did not see the entire path, you have now classified
a MD> chance aligned meteor as a Taurid. With the only parameters being path
MD> direction, velocity, and path length to use in classifying a plotted
meteor, MD> it seems that ignoring 1/3 of the parameters would lead to too
many possible MD> errors.