[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) RE: meteorobs-digest V1 #183

Hi Lew,

>Thanks for your thoughts on guided vs. unguided, Marc. How would these pros and
>cons measure up against a system that was BOTH guided and unguided: i.e., two
>cameras surveying the same sky area, with one on a guided exposure and the other
>not? Presumably, both sets of advantages accrue?
>
>Clear skies,
>Lew

That's exactly right! You must be either very creative or have an efficient subconscious
memory, because the European Fireball Network coordinated by Zedek Ceplecha of
the Ondrejov Observatory uses this exact procedure!!! By comparing the two images
they can derive the time of appearance of the meteor. With this information they can
calculate azimuths and zenith distances from the equatorial coordinates and do the
double-station triangulation.
The Dutch Meteor Society uses photomultiplier tubes instead to detect the
appearance of bright fireballs. During clear nights, when fish-eye cameras are
operative, a PC continously monitors the output signal of the PMT system. In our
opinion this is an simpler solution than operating two cameras at the same site.

Best wishes,

Marc de Lignie