[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Where's our handbooks

>I find it very strange to ALWAYS receive envelopes that are damged
>the same way. The center of the envelope is NEVER damaged. The contents
>are NEVER damaged. I suspect the damage is done on purpose, by Customs
>officers looking for drugs. Once the envelope is damaged, one can easily
>see into it, and verify that it does not contain BAD things.

>Perhaps a partially destroyed envelope is not strong enough to keep
>the documents inside it, when posted on the long journey to the USA?

Trond, this is exactly the same type of damage I always receive on IMO
publications. They are never lost, just never intact. Sometimes they do come
in bent up pretty bad, but still useable. The envelopes IMO uses appear to
me to be thinner than the envelopes normally used here in the U.S., so this
could be the reason for the recent lost documents as you mention.

Whenever I mail meteor reports to Europe, the postmaster always wants to
stick a "Customs Stamp" on it which states it is written matter. He said
this is required, making me wonder what condition U.S. documents arrive in.

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net