[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Following FOV? (was: Oct. 21 Observations)

>....You generally mention in your reports that
>you always face the same altitude (as in alt-az), throughout your session, in
>this case a point on the meridian about 70o up. The IMO Good Book says
>observers
>should face the same area of sky throughout a session, and follow it as it
>tracks across the sky during the night. How do you report your center-of-FOV?
>Also, do other experienced observers do this? Seems for correction and
analysis
>purposes, as though Bob's method would actually be preferable to the IMO Way.
>
>Curious Lew

Lew, once I have located the center of my field of view, I follow it as long
as possible. Most of my observations are made at an elevation of around 30
to 70 degrees or so, but this isn't written in stone. At the beginning of
each of my observing periods I make a personal data entry of my elevation.
An example might be 35 degrees the first hour, 50 degrees the next hour, etc.

Once my center has gotten to 70 degrees or more, I prefer to relocate the
field to a lower elevation although I know of observers who do not. This
relocation of my field is ALWAYS done at the beginning of another observing
period. In a normal night of observing, I will relocate my field only once
which will allow me to observe for 5 or more hours total.

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net