[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Oct. 21 Observations

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

Lew, You Wrote:

. The IMO Good Book says observers should face the same area of sky
throughout a session, and  follow it as it  tracks across the sky during
the night. How do you report your center-of-FOV?  Also, do other
experienced observers do this? Seems for correction and analysis
purposes, as though Bob's method would actually be preferable to the IMO
Way.

First of all, I report the center of my field of view in celestial
coordinates such as RA 60 DEC +10 on an hourly basis. I don't know about
other observers besides George and I, but we usually face the same
direction all night. I'm not about to get out of my nice warm sleeping
bag just to shift my position a few degrees. I figure out beforehand the
optimal position and stick with that all night. This allows a radiant to
drift across my FOV at a rate of 15 degrees per hour allowing differing
views of the sky.

We could follow the same exact area of the sky all night if George is
willing to attach a motor to his observatory and have it rotate with the
sky. ;>

Bob