[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Image intensifiers - redux

Hello Lew,

> I just spoke with a fellow out in central Massachusetts (USA), who has a couple
> of grade A second-generation image intensifiers for sale for about $600-$650. He
> also knows of a source (he says - I've never met him before) that may have
> several more for a similar price, including both grades A, B, and C. The fellow seemed both knowledgeable and at least somewhat
> interested in astronomy (he was also selling an old 10" dob that he no longer
> uses), and I told him I'd pass the word along to the list, and see if there was
> serious interest.

you should find out several things before you buy those intensifiers:
* What is their phosphorous screen diameter? (very important!)
* What is their gain?
* Are they of any known type (i.e. those listed in the Stano ad in S&T)?
* How serious are the damages? You should check that out in a dark room!
* What about the sprectral response? Any information available?

> I believe that these would be for US subscribers only (and maybe Canadians),

... it's always the same. :-(
I thought that times have changed, but not for the military.
Cheers, Sirko