[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Semi-stationary meteors

>Anyway, this leads to YET ANOTHER newbie question on the NAMN observing
method: >I have been using
>a special "0.5" speed for what I call "semi-stationary meteors". These are
>meteors which I consider too short to estimate the speed of, but which I
>nonetheless have a reliable impression of motion detection from. Is this an
>acceptable practice, or what do others do?

Lew, I don't recommend subdividing the scale into 0.5. Instead, you will
have to choose between a stationary meteor or one that definitly showed
motion. If it showed motion, but was too short for you to assign a velocity
estimate, then don't assign one, and make a note of it on your report.

Mark Davis
NAMN Coordinator
MeteorObs@charlestondot net