[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteor colors

Some time ago, in a discussion of meteor colors, George Zay wrote:
>Maybe some colors are a function of the light being filtered out because of
>that particular meteors entry angle in relation to the observer...thus giving
>something similar to that is seen at sunsets where we will perceive the
>oranges and reds? I haven't read this anywhere...but just a hunch.

[Can you tell I'm reviewing some unread list postings... :>]

I was curious when I read this, George: if this were the case, wouldn't the
visual observer also expect to see some blue-extinction in star images as well?
I know it's very rare for me to see even the full moon rise or set with a color
other than pale white or - rarely - china yellow. And I've never noticed stars
near the horizon appear significantly redder than they do near the zenith. But
then I may just not be very observant! :) Comments from anyone on the list?

Lew