[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) ALPO Shower Classes (was Re: KAQ & SOR's)

>HOWEVER, not everyone on the list CAN, so it'd sure be helpful if someone
could
>summarize these classifications to the list for us non-member subscribers!

Lew,

There are 4 classes of showers in the ALPO program. They are:

Class I: the strongest annual showers with ZHR's always above 3 at maximum
activity.

Class II: dependable minor showers with ZHR's of at least 3 at maximum activity.

Class III: showers with irregular rates. The display may be strong one year
and totally absent the next.

Class IV: weak minor showers that are difficult to separate from the
sporadic background. These showers are best left to experienced observers
who use plotting and velocity to determine a meteors classification.

Hope this helps,

Mark Davis
ALPO Asst. Coordinator
MeteorObs@charlestondot net