[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteor colors

>I was curious when I read this, George: if this were the case, wouldn't the
>visual observer also expect to see some blue-extinction in star images as
>well?
>I know it's very rare for me to see even the full moon rise or set with a
>color
>other than pale white or - rarely - china yellow. And I've never noticed
>stars
>near the horizon appear significantly redder than they do near the zenith.
>But
>then I may just not be very observant! :) Comments from anyone on the list?
>
>Lew
-------
Lew,
As for the moon appearing different colors at rising and setting...well I've
frequently seen a deep orange moon at both rising and setting...Perhaps you
aren't living in a polluted or dusty enough place?

As for stars appearing any redder at the horizon...Well, I honestly haven't
noticed any change...but I seldom see very much star coloration anyhow.  My
eyesight isn't much of a color receptor at night I'm afraid for somewhat dim
objects.  I believe I was just throwing up ideas to consider as causes for
meteor colorations.  In actuality, I suspect no one condition or reason for
the various meteor colors seen...that's without considering the individuals
biological reasons for his own color perceptions. The bottom line is that I
still feel that meteor color info has very little use.  I probably wouldn't
even be recording it except it's simple to record and it's become pretty much
a habit now.
George Z.