[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Visual magnitude

>I'll join you in this quest !
>
>>That being said, though, *IS* there a simple function which can relate an
>>individual's limiting visual magnitude to the true sky brightness?
>
>Is there ?
>

>Saludos,
>Andres
------
Andres,
Hello! where are you located? Spain...Mexico...South America....or ? Just got
me curious. As to answering the question about whether there is a simple
function of one's Limiting Magnitude to the True Sky Brightness....I don't
know the answer either. I may be missing the boat here, but it would seem to
me that in order for there to be a functional relationship, there must be
some kind of standard established. Isn't +6.5 that standard? At least for
meteor work...that is in determining ZHR's.   I would think that a True Sky
Brightness would vary from individual to individual and instrument used to
determine a Limiting Magnitude if it wasn't compared to something.  From what
all I've read in astronomy, it seems that magnitudes are somewhat compared to
the +6.5 figure. So, if a large telescope is able to perceive magnitudes
let's say around +22 magnitudes, then it would have to be stated that it is
so many times above the standard or True Sky Brightness.  I don't know
really....I'm just winging it here.
George Z.