[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Visual magnitude

Hi, George. Sorry for the confusion! Andres is actually not on the meteorobs
list: I had cross-posted my original message to the ASTRO list (which he is on),
and he responded with all my cross-posting destinations intact. Anyway, I've
forwarded your response to him.

What I was asking about was the "sky brightness" measure which Brian Skiff, Mel
Bartells and various other well-known amateurs use to describe how "dark" a sky
is. This sky brightness is in units of magnitudes per square arcsecond (i.e.,
mag/arcsec^2), and is a quantization of exactly how much air glow and light
pollution there is in a given patch of sky: for a very dark site, this is
generally on the order of 21 or 22 mag/arcsec^2. For a heavily light polluted
site, this number might be more like 17 or 18.

Lew